“And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand” – John 10:28-29
LIGHT FOR NOW: Eternal life is not a future reality for the believer in Christ; it is a present day and eternal reality in Christ.
The Greek word “zoe” describes life. Hence, “the zoe of God” is descriptive of the life of God or the life that came from God to us, and this life is what is called eternal life. The word “eternal life” was translated from the Greek word “aionios zoe”. By having the Greek word “aionios” (eternal) with the word “zoe” (life), it is to explain a life that cannot be lost. That is, “aionios zoe” which is the life that comes from God is a life that once received, it cannot be lost. Eternal life means forever life; everlasting life. In other words, the gift of eternal life once received can never be lost. Jesus words in our key text says “I give unto them eternal life”. The “giving” denotes that this life is a gift freely made available to be received. Observe, if he says “I give unto them eternal life”, then it won’t be in the future. That is, eternal life will not be what we will receive in heaven at the end of our lives. If he says he has given to us eternal life and we are on earth now, it implies eternal life is received on earth not in heaven. Eternal life therefore is a present day reality of the believer today. The believer will not receive eternal life:
- In heaven
- On the last day
- After he dies
- At the end of his life
Also, if eternal life is a gift in Christ, then eternal life:
- Will not be a bye product of man’s work or effort. Meaning eternal life will not be worked for. It will only be received.
- Eternal life also will not be a reward for good work well done.
Therefore, let’s define below what eternal life is not:
- Eternal life is not what will be received in heaven at the end of our lives.
- Eternal life will not be a future occurrence for the believer.
- Eternal life is not life received on the last day in the context of the trumpet sounding, as many suppose.
- Eternal life is not life received after a believer dies.
- Eternal life is not life to be received on the judgment day for those qualified.
- Eternal life is not life worked for by man’s effort, and
- Eternal life is not a reward.
Eternal life therefore will not be our future reality; it is our present day and eternal reality. Glory!!!
INSTRUCTION: Be word conscious now more than ever.
CONFESSION: I affirm that eternal life is my present day and eternal reality in Christ.
QUOTE: Eternal life is not life received after death but life received before death.
DAILY BIBLE READING: MORNING: 2TIMOTHY CHAPTER 2; EVENING: 2TIMOTHY CHAPTER 3
One thought on “THE ZOE OF GOD (2)”