“Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time” (1Timothy 2:6).
LIGHT FOR NOW: What Jesus did was for all but it is not automatic upon all.
Having examined the word gave in the above text and seen that this word deals more with the attitude of the giver than the gift itself, let’s look into the next word in a bid to unbundling the above text comprehensively; bringing to the fore that Paul in the above text was not submitting that everyone in the world is saved since Jesus gave himself a ransom for all. The next word there is the word “for”. It is derived from the Greek word “huper” which implies a substitution or to substitution. It means “on behalf of”, “in place of”. It is accomplished by one person on behalf of another; the former becomes the sacrifice for the latter. There are actually two words translated as for in the Greek texts of the bible (that is, the New Testament books of the bible). The second word is the word “anti”. It has the same implication as “huper”. It means “instead of” or “because of”. It was used in Matthew 20:28 which reads “Even as the son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many”. Let’s read four to five texts where the word for/huper was used:
- 1Corinthians 15:3 “For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures”.
- 2Corinthians 5:15 “And that he died for all, that they which line should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again”.
- Galatians 1:4 “Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our father”.
- Galatians 2:20 “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless, I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me”.
- Galatians 3:13 “Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, cursed is everyone that hangeth on a tree”. Hallelujah!
INSTRUCTION:What we have that the unbeliever does not have are spiritual; think!
PRAYER: I sharpened in my understanding and I can comprehend the word of his grace, in Jesus Name, Amen.
QUOTE: Jesus died for all to be saved but all are only saved by faith in the saviour.
DAILY BIBLE READING: MORNING: GALATIANS CHAPTER 1; EVENING: GALATIANS CHAPTER 2